Rikushpa Shamuni

Rikushpa Shamuni

Takishpa Shamuni

Takishpa Shamuni

14 April 2010

Do what Tino would do

My friend Tino was sad when he heard I was leaving Kansas.  He admonished me to treat well his people, the Hispanics of Ecuador.  I said that whenever I encounter the poor I will ask myself "what would Tino do?"  So Tino told me a story.

On one of his annual visits to México he saw a man with no legs pumping gasoline.  The man pushed himself along with his bare hands while sitting on a home made platform with hand carved wooden wheels.  Tino was so impressed with the great effort and tenacity of the man to be self sufficient and cheerful in the face of adversity, that he promised to bring him a wheelchair when he returned the next year.  The man was astonished with the offer.  Tino told him that he spoke with his heart, not his mouth.

The next year after filling his tank, Tino helped the attendant into a wheelchair, and outfitted him with new leather gloves, a hat, and a shirt.  Every year since he has brought him new gloves and hats and shirts.

By the time he finished the story, Tino and I were both in tears.  He said that we had been friends before, but now we are brothers.

"And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants... Kunanka  ñuka nishkakunata uyarkankichik; Achill-Taytapak ñaupapi punllan punllan k'ucha illak kankapak tukui runakuna paykunapak charishkata kushpa, yark'achikkunaman karashpa, lluchukunata churachishpa, unkushkakunata rikugrishpa, uku-samaypi tullu-aychapi minishtirishakunata rikushpa paykunata shinchichishpa kikinkunapak charishkata wakchakunaman karachun munani" (Mosiah 4:26).

Tino would do what Jesus would do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrNBpJly9s

No comments:

Post a Comment