Rikushpa Shamuni

Rikushpa Shamuni

Takishpa Shamuni

Takishpa Shamuni

03 September 2010

Making Mistakes

The plastic bowl melted on the burner

Every ordinance in the temple is officially observed by "witnesses" who listen and watch for mistakes.  For example, any baptism must be repeated if the person is not completely submersed.  Yesterday I was complemented by a brother who was baptizing, as I was able to immediately correct him if he left out a word or made a small change.  He said I was a good listener.  I responded: I recognize the mistakes, as I am so used to them, as I make so many myself.

Did you ever fall out of bed?
When I first arrived I told people that I was a fast learner, because I am not afraid to make mistakes.  I don't worry about what people will think of me or say of my mistakes.  In a new situation I just make as many mistakes as possible, and try to learn from my mistakes.

Cameraman chooses a poor pose
"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seen times?  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." Matthew 18:21-22

It tasted good.  The next day she learned
that it was a mistake to trust the food
bought from a street vendor.
I do make mistakes.  I try to learn from them, but sometimes I just get in the habit of making the same ones over and over.  My father called that "our favorite sins".  I teach my piano students to work and study and change until the section is played without mistakes, then repeat it over and over.  Practice that makes perfect is repeating it after you finally get it right.

It is a mistake to think that every smile
reflects a friendly soul and a safe friend.
Once you can do it right, practice that.  If you notice that others make mistakes, you will be happier if you do not take responsibility for correcting them.  However, if you are the teacher, it is your responsibility to look for mistakes as clues for how to correct the problem.  I tell my music students that I want to hear their mistakes, so I can see how to help them find solutions.

If you repent, you can qualify for the temple
"There are those who will make mistakes.  There are those among us today that have gone astray, but they are the children of our Lord and he loves them.  He has given you and to me the right to go to them in kindness and love and with patience and with a desire to bless, seek to win them from the mistakes that they are making" (The Teachings of George Albert Smith, p. 145).

No comments:

Post a Comment